Now that things are getting back to normal, I have been turning to some life-affirming music called disco. I have always enjoyed a little disco as a pick-me-up. Now, cool it with the catcalls and the snide remarks, because, next to alternative music in its many forms, I really do love disco music. To me, disco has an almost spiritual quality to it. Maybe, it has to due with the age I was when disco was big on the charts and radio. Or, maybe, it has to do with the innocence of the era. Then again, maybe I looking back at my own loss of innocence. Regardless, I still find comfort in disco music.
As you know from my previous posts, Chic is one of my favorite artists of all-time. Today, I would like to honor one of my favorite female singers of all-time, the late Donna Summer. And, in doing so, I want to present my fifteen favorite songs of Donna Summer.
15. “Could It Be Magic” (A Love Trilogy, 1976)
14. “Heaven Knows” – Donna Summer with Brooklyn Dreams (Live and More, 1978)
13. “No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)” – Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer (On the Radio: Greatest Hits, Volumes 1 & 2, 1980)
12. “She Works Hard for the Money” (She Works Hard for the Money, 1983)
11. “On the Radio” (On the Radio: Greatest Hits, Volumes 1 & 2, 1980)
10. “Bad Girls” (Bad Girls, 1979)
9. “Dim All the Lights” (Bad Girls, 1979)
8. “This Time I Know It’s for Real” (Another Place and Time, 1989)
7. “Hot Stuff” (Bad Girls, 1979)
6. “The Wanderer” (The Wanderer, 1980)
5. “Love to Love You Baby” (Love to Love You Baby, 1975)
4. “MacArthur Park” (Live and More, 1978)
3. “Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)” (Donna Summer, 1982)
2. “Last Dance” (Live and More, 1978)
1. “I Feel Love” (I Remember Love, 1977)
It is a shame that this beautiful and talented woman was taken from us at such a relative young age. At least we have her discography to continue to discover her fantastic music. Here’s to Donna Summer and her terrific music.